Every patient, community health worker, or health professional who wants to use DEEP™ must be certified. Only certified trainers may teach DEEP™. Individuals who wish to become certified must themselves be trained by a certified DEEP™ Senior Trainer or Lead Trainer. Peer Educators must be certified to teach DEEP™ to community participants.
- Certifications are only issued by UIC’s Office of Technology Management.
- Participants must attend a DEEP™ Workshop led by a certified DEEP™ Trainer.
- DEEP™ trainers must be recommended for certification by a DEEP™ Senior or Lead Trainer.
- Certifications may only be used by individuals who work for or are associated with an organization holding a DEEP™ license or sublicense.
- Initial Certification is good for three (3) years.
- Certification is portable – it moves with an individual
- Workshops participants who meet all training requirements receive a signed Recommendation for Certification from the workshop trainer.
- Organization obtains a DEEP™ license from UIC. Organization staff completes DEEP™ training and pays certification fees (see below). Workshop trainer submits Recommendation for Certification form(s) to UIC and UIC issues certifications.
- Initial three (3) year certification fees are:
- Senior Trainer: $1,200
- Lead Trainer: $900
- Peer Educator: $75
- Important Notes
- During the period of 2019 – 2021, DEEP™ certification and recertification fees were “temporarily suspended,” by Midwest Latino Health Research, Training and Policy Center while DEEP™ transitioned to UIC’s Office of Technology Management (OTM). As of January 1, 2022, OTM is requiring all DEEP™ Educators and Trainers that were newly trained or whose certification expired in 2021 to retroactively pay for those certifications or recertifications
- It is UIC policy to not issue certificates/certifications until payment is received for certifications.
- At the moment, UIC only accepts payment through wire transfer and check.
If you have questions about these policies, please contact OTM at DEEP-Info@uic.edu