Our office engages undergraduate students, graduate students, and post-doctoral talent in a variety of activities related to the process of commercialization.
Scholarships Heading link
Applications are closed and no scholarships are currently available at this time.
Technology Data Analyst Heading link
Currently there are no technology data analyst positions available.
(Graduate Hourly/ 10 hours per week)
The OTM manages intellectual property generated by UIC researchers and provides services to faculty, staff, and students that include IP identification, evaluation, protection, marketing, and licensing. The Office of Technology Management (OTM) seeks an experienced data management graduate student to assist with database management, data analysis, website management, and identify business intelligence tools to facilitate the OTM’s ability to promote the commercialization of university research.
Working with the OTM provides valuable technology transfer office (TTO) work experience and exposure to some of UIC’s most exciting technologies. The Technology Data Analyst will use web-based business and scientific databases, as well as library tools to collect data necessary to complete the assigned projects. Assigned projects will include assisting with database record entry, data segmentation and aggregation, query building and reporting, among other things. Training will be provided on the use of internal database management systems, however, applicants are expected to have knowledge in SQL, and must be capable of independently coding in SQL.
- Data gathering, input, and analysis;
- Query building to assess database information;
- Help OTM staff with data visualization for presentations;
- Help manage OTM website;
- Leverage database knowledge and experience to recommend system improvements; and
- Assist with front desk/telephone duties as needed.
- Candidate must be enrolled in a PhD or Master’s program in a UIC Computer Science, Data Science, Management Information Systems, Business Analytics, or Engineering program;
- Candidate must have a solid understanding of general scientific and/or business principles and have domain expertise in data analytics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Previous experience and demonstrated competency in searching databases;
- MySQL, SQL;
- Additional open-source and scripting languages, including HTML, R, or Python, is preferred;
- Computer skills, including basic Microsoft Office proficiency;
- Excel VB Macros for automating excel operations;
- Critical thinking skills; and
- Good time management skills, including ability to balance job projects and school requirements.
Please note: This is a graduate hourly position and requires a commitment of one full year (three semesters). Students who currently have 50% or more TA hours or are on GA/RA support are ineligible to accept this position). Only apply if you can commit to 10 hours of work time per week during regular office hours. Work will be required 60% in-person (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) and 40% remotely. Student must have a working laptop and agree to the University’s Remote Computing Policies and Procedures. Immediate hire desired.
Technology Commercialization Analyst Heading link
Currently there are no technology commercialization analyst positions available.
(Graduate Hourly/ 6.8 to 20 hours per week)
Technology Commercialization Analysts participate in many aspects of the technology commercialization process, with a focus on screening new disclosures to the office and evaluating the commercial landscape. Working with the OTM provides valuable technology management and evaluation experience along with exposure to some of UIC’s most exciting technologies.
Commercialization analysts assist OTM technology managers in the assessment and marketing of technologies. This involves performing preliminary market and industry analysis for the applications of new technologies, and performing prior art research for new technologies. Commercial analysts also assist OTM technology managers with marketing activities for high potential technologies, and with generating lists of potential licensees.
Graduate Student Careers Heading link
Our Graduate students perform a number of duties, from finance patent searches and marketing research to business strategy. After graduation, our students have gone on to careers in the following fields.
Graduate Assistantship Heading link