Our office engages undergraduate students, graduate students, and post-doctoral talent in a variety of activities related to the process of commercialization.
Visiting Technology Commercialization Fellow Heading link
Applications are closed at this time.
Visiting Technology Commercialization Fellow
The University System Office seeks two Visiting Technology Commercialization Fellows. This fellowship opportunity combines science, legal and business training toward a new career in technology commercialization and marketing. The appointment is for one calendar year and is renewable for a second year depending on incumbent’s performance. The UIC OTM mission is to encourage innovation, enhance research, and facilitate economic development through the transfer of intellectual property. OTM is responsible for marketing, negotiating agreements, promoting the research and development of UIC intellectual property, and the patenting and licensing of UIC technologies. The experience of an OTM Technology Commercialization Fellowship should prepare the Fellow for business development and investment positions within industry, financial entities, or non-profits – as well as university, industry, or government technology transfer offices.
Additional responsibilities included:
- Perform literature and related art searches for new technology disclosures.
- Perform preliminary market and industry analysis for the applications of new technologies.
- Conduct thorough market research of emerging technologies including market potential, size, competition, and trends.
- Conduct interviews with inventors to clarify technology disclosure details including market applications, stage of development, future interest in development, and potential licensees
- Develop creative and descriptive marketing materials to attract licensees or commercial partners, and generate leads for technologies; Create lists of potential licensees and their contact information.
- Develop and present technology screening reports to OTM staff, faculty or others in review sessions and meetings.
- Provide subject matter expertise advice to the office on core competencies for incumbents with medical or professional experience.
- Travel to regional meetings/conferences for technology marketing and partnership lead generation and professional development.
- Advanced degree in life sciences, Medicine, Chemical Biology, Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacy, Applied Health, Public Health, Dentistry or related life science education. (Preferred: PhD, Doctor of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharm D, JD with life science background, MBA with Doctorate in relevant science. Foreign professional degrees are acceptable.) OR
Advanced degree in engineering and/or physical sciences, such as Chemical, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or related physical science education.
- Minimum of 6 months relevant experience.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Excellent analytical, writing and speaking skills.
- Experience and/or background in the life sciences or demonstrate equivalent relevant skills.
Other preferred qualifications include:
- Previous employment in health care, medical device companies, pharmaceuticals or law, business, venture capital or equity, or public health.
- Patent law and/or MBA or other business training (e.g. coursework or internship).
- Internship experience in consulting companies, Venture Capital or equity firms or analytics intensive jobs.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by Oct. 31st at 6 pm on 4/13/2023 or visit https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/employment.
Technology Data Analyst Heading link
Currently there are no technology data analyst positions available.
(Graduate Hourly/ 10 hours per week)
The OTM manages intellectual property generated by UIC researchers and provides services to faculty, staff, and students that include IP identification, evaluation, protection, marketing, and licensing. The Office of Technology Management (OTM) seeks an experienced data management graduate student to assist with database management, data analysis, website management, and identify business intelligence tools to facilitate the OTM’s ability to promote the commercialization of university research.
Working with the OTM provides valuable technology transfer office (TTO) work experience and exposure to some of UIC’s most exciting technologies. The Technology Data Analyst will use web-based business and scientific databases, as well as library tools to collect data necessary to complete the assigned projects. Assigned projects will include assisting with database record entry, data segmentation and aggregation, query building and reporting, among other things. Training will be provided on the use of internal database management systems, however, applicants are expected to have knowledge in SQL, and must be capable of independently coding in SQL.
- Data gathering, input, and analysis;
- Query building to assess database information;
- Help OTM staff with data visualization for presentations;
- Help manage OTM website;
- Leverage database knowledge and experience to recommend system improvements; and
- Assist with front desk/telephone duties as needed.
- Candidate must be enrolled in a PhD or Master’s program in a UIC Computer Science, Data Science, Management Information Systems, Business Analytics, or Engineering program;
- Candidate must have a solid understanding of general scientific and/or business principles and have domain expertise in data analytics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Previous experience and demonstrated competency in searching databases;
- MySQL, SQL;
- Additional open-source and scripting languages, including HTML, R, or Python, is preferred;
- Computer skills, including basic Microsoft Office proficiency;
- Excel VB Macros for automating excel operations;
- Critical thinking skills; and
- Good time management skills, including ability to balance job projects and school requirements.
Please note: This is a graduate hourly position and requires a commitment of one full year (three semesters). Students who currently have 50% or more TA hours or are on GA/RA support are ineligible to accept this position). Only apply if you can commit to 10 hours of work time per week during regular office hours. Work will be required 60% in-person (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) and 40% remotely. Student must have a working laptop and agree to the University’s Remote Computing Policies and Procedures. Immediate hire desired.
Technology Commercialization Analyst Heading link
Currently there are no technology commercialization analyst positions available.
(Graduate Hourly/ 6.8 to 20 hours per week)
Technology Commercialization Analysts participate in many aspects of the technology commercialization process, with a focus on screening new disclosures to the office and evaluating the commercial landscape. Working with the OTM provides valuable technology management and evaluation experience along with exposure to some of UIC’s most exciting technologies.
Commercialization analysts assist OTM technology managers in the assessment and marketing of technologies. This involves performing preliminary market and industry analysis for the applications of new technologies, and performing prior art research for new technologies. Commercial analysts also assist OTM technology managers with marketing activities for high potential technologies, and with generating lists of potential licensees.
Graduate Student Careers Heading link
Our Graduate students perform a number of duties, from finance patent searches and marketing research to business strategy. After graduation, our students have gone on to careers in the following fields.
Graduate Assistantship Heading link